Reports to: Security Supervisor
Classification: Part-time, Non-Exempt, 15-20 hours weekly
Compensation: $15-$17 per hour, Part time, on-call, must be flexible to work weekends and after-hours event programming
Scope of Position
The primary function of the Bellevue Arts Museum’s Security Department is to ensure the safety and security of the Museum’s visitors, staff, facilities and its temporary collections with a customer service mindset. This department supports all activities, events and functions of the Bellevue Arts Museum. The Security Officers’ responsibility is to uphold the Museum’s policies and procedures by supporting Museum functions and by providing excellent support to all of its internal and external customers. As an essential part of our strategic mission and goals; diversity and equity are fostered in all aspects of the Bellevue Arts Museum. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce that enables creativity and innovation.
Education: A High School diploma, or GED required
Experience: At least 2 years of security work experience. One year customer service work experience combined with study in related areas such as criminal justice, sociology or museum studies will be considered in lieu of formal security experience.
License & Certification: Must possess a current First Aid, CPR and AED certification, or be able to obtain the certifications within 60 days of hire.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Displays excellent customer service skills and comfortable working with diverse populations
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Computer proficiency in a Microsoft Windows environment
- Ability to effectively communicate to internal and external customers through a variety of media that includes but not limited to: email, telephone, two-way radio, and person to person
Museum Specific Qualifications:
At time of job offer must be able to pass a criminal background check
Customer service/patron driven focus with a positive, collaborative, solution-based attitude that stays within and upholds Museum’s policies and procedures
Possess a valid Washington driver’s license and/or a valid Washington Identification card.
Onsite attendance is essential to perform the duties of this position
Essential Job Functions
- Provide excellent customer service.
- General awareness of surroundings while enforcing Museum policies and procedures,
- Deter, detect and respond to the tampering, vandalism and theft of Museum’s temporary collections and
- Respond to emergencies (medical, fire, earthquake, evacuations, etc.).
- Conduct patrols in designated interior and exterior areas.
- Monitor gallery activity while controlling access.
- Assist others with their lost and found property inquires.
- Produce detailed reports capturing shift activities and incidents; verbally, in writing and by computer.
- Monitor security video and intrusion detection systems.
- Turn on/off exhibit-related items following procedures set forth by BAM AV personnel or Curatorial staff.
- Assist other departments with retrieval of packages and deliveries
- Assists with information regarding current exhibitions
- Subject to other duties as assigned in support of the Museum’s mission.
Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- This position has a high-level of public contact
- This position requires one to work outside on occasion and may work during periods of inclement weather
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time, climb ladders, and stairs
- This position may come into contact with a variety of approved chemicals
- This position requires some work in an office environment, which requires periods of sitting and repetitive wrist and arm movement
- The ability to focus, bend, carry, reach to the side, front and overhead, push, pull, walk, stand, twist and squat, grab, squeeze are repetitive physical movements are requirements of this position
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume with the subject line, “Security Officer” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will receive an automated response. Candidates whose qualifications and background are of interest will be contacted directly. Bellevue Arts Museum provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Bellevue Arts Museum complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. For further information about the Museum, visit bellevuearts.org